Monday, January 09, 2006

Love At First Sight



Two years ago I joined a medical humanitarian group that concentrates on physical rehabilitation in Haiti. This group has a clinic in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti where people with physical and/or intellectual disabilities can seek treatments of various forms; prosthetics, orthotics, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, surgery, massage therapy, you name it! We each packed one small carry-on bag for the plane allotting the remainder of our allowable luggage to carry prosthetic limbs (or various parts and materials to make such limbs), crutches, canes, wheel chairs, etc. Groups of medical professionals make the trek to Haiti and provide their services while training Haitian volunteers to perform the necessities for patients to carry out a thorough physio program to rehabilitate from various disabilities. The ultimate goal is to have the clinic self sustained by Haitian workers. I love this idea!

Of anything I have ever done in my lifetime, this one week in Haiti is what I am most proud of, hands down. It is truly amazing to see people from all different backgrounds pull together for a common cause. I can't say I changed much in Haiti but Haiti certainly changed much in me.

During our stay in 2004 there was a great deal of unrest in Haiti much like today. We were not certain until two days before leaving if our safety could be ensured enough to even go. We did go. We went out and visited orphanages and hospitals and tended to the organization's own clinic amidst the political chaos, which by the way, was portrayed to be much worse in the media.

A small group of us visited the General Hospital in downtown Port-Au-Prince where there was an abandoned children's unit. This place was unsanitary and an ultimate death trap. Kids went there to die. This unit had 17 children but only 12 beds. It was in this abandoned children's unit where I fell in love. Her name is Ellen.

After assessing the children inside the unit for physical capabilities, Sarah (the physio) and I stepped into the outdoor annex to examine the remainder of the children. On an uncovered crib mattress thrown onto the concrete ground I saw a baby about 18 months old. She was on her belly supported by her arms gazing off into nowhere completely lacking emotion. Sarah and I assessed her and concluded there was nothing intellectually or physically wrong with her. I held her the rest of the day. She slept in my arms, she played with my watch, she even laughed after a great deal of effort. I did not work anymore that day aside from hold this precious little girl.

After three hours we had to leave. I put her into one of the cribs and walked away. She cried. I picked her up and one of the nurses from our team took her and I left the room.

I knew after that day that I would never be concerned with having or not having my own biological children as I knew I could fall in love with a child and love her forever more. In fact, I would love to adopt a baby like Ellen.

I tried to follow up on Ellen through the child welfare department in Haiti. They said she had been moved to another orphanage and was being adopted. I was sad it wasn't me adopting her but thrilled she has a chance.

-------------------------------------------

And just because I'm me and can't be serious for more than 10 minutes, I'd like to point out that within 24 hours of being in Haiti I inspired a skinny dipping extravaganza! Oooops, rum punch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I cried. I couldn't help myself.

Monday, January 09, 2006 8:30:00 pm  
Blogger Gia said...

I love seeing your picture of Miss Ellen. She might not be yours to hold, but she is yours.

Monday, January 09, 2006 10:59:00 pm  
Blogger Bridget M. said...

You're an amazing person Kiki. And someday you will be an amazing mother too. What a terrific post.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:56:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home